- American Schools of Oriental Research Committee on Archaeological Research and Policy
- American Research Center in Egypt
- Society for American Archaeology
- American Anthropological Association
- Director, Moab Archaeological Resource Survey, Jordan. Intensive mapping, surface collection, and archaeological excavation of Epipaleolithic to Byzantine settlement sites in the western Madaba Plain, pedestrian survey to discover additional sites. (2000-present).
- Co-Director, Tell Madaba Archaeological Project, Madaba, Jordan. Excavations of Early Bronze I through Late Ottoman strata/features; development of GIS databases for Madaba, the Madaba Plain, and Jordan (1996-1999); conducted graduate level field school.
- Surveyor/Architect, Khirbet Iskander Archaeological Project, Wadi Wala, Jordan. Architectural documentation of structures from the Early Bronze I - IV periods. Drew University (1997, 2000).
- Field Director, Archaeological excavations at two Predynastic (Neolithic) settlements in the Hu-Semaineh region, Upper Egypt. Boston University Department of Archaeology (1991).
- Field Director, Close interval cultural and topographic mapping of three Predynastic (Neolithic) sites located in the Hierakonpolis region (near Edfu), Upper Egypt (1990).
- Data Administrator, Bally Lough Archaeological Project. Design and implementation of GIS and archaeological database for Neolithic and Mesolithic sites in southeastern Ireland (1989).
- Volunteer, Intensive archaeological site survey of 56 km2 around Tell Jemmeh, Israel, northwestern Negev. Sites identified from the Chalcolithic to the British Mandate periods. Smithsonian Institution (1977).
- Volunteer, Archaeological excavation of Late Bronze and Iron Age fortification systems and structures at Tell Jemmeh, northwestern Negev, Israel. Smithsonian Institution (1976, 1977).
Graduate and Advanced Undergraduate Seminars:
- Complex Societies of the Middle East (Anthro 156-565), Anthropology Department, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- Post-Pleistocene Archaeology of the Old World (Anthro 156-307), Anthropology Department, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- Prehistory of North America (Anthro 156-308), Anthropology Department, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- Readings in Anthropology: Archaeology of the Southern Levant (ANT 370), Anthropology Department, Kutztown University.
- Introduction to GIS (a module of ANTH 540, Problem Solving in Archaeology), Department of Anthropology, University of South Carolina.
Undergraduate Lecture/Lab Courses:
- Prehistory of the Southwest (ASB 335, an "L1" Literacy and Critical Inquiry course), Arizona State University.
- Principles of Archaeology (ASB 330), Anthropology Department, Arizona State University.
- Introduction to Archaeology (ASM 294), Anthropology Department, Arizona State University. Also taught as ARC 111, Department of Archaeology and Art History, Eastern Mediterranean University.
- Digging Up the Past: Approaches to Archaeology (Anthro 156-103), Anthropology Department, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- Old World Prehistory II (ASB 362), Anthropology Department, Arizona State University. Covers the development of agriculture and urbanism in the Old World.
- Buried Cities and Lost Tribes: Our Human Heritage (ASB 222), Department of Cultural Science, Mesa Community College, Mesa, Arizona.
- Mythology in Cross-cultural Perspective (ELH 262), Department of English Literature and Humanities, Eastern Mediterranean University.
- History of Near Eastern Civilizations (HIS 205), Department of Archaeology and Art History, Eastern Mediterranean University.
- Introduction to Sociology (SOC 101), Department of English Literature and Humanities, Eastern Mediterranean University.
- Cultural Anthropology (ANT 101), Anthropology Department, Kutztown University.
- World Prehistory (ANT 240), Anthropology Department, Kutztown University.
- Introduction to Anthropology: Human Prehistory (Anthro 156-101), Anthropology Department, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
- Human Origins and the Development of Culture (ASM 101), Anthropology Dept., ASU.
- "CISA3 NSF IGERT Research & Jordan Archaeology World Cultural Heritage." A workshop held at the University of California, San Diego for participants from the Department of Antiquities of Jordan and the American Center for Oriental Research, November 15-16, 2010.
- ”The Digital Archaeological Atlas of the Holy Land and the Mediterranean Archaeological Network.” A workshop held at the University of California, San Diego for participants from the Indira Gandhi National Center of the Arts, October, 2009.
- ”Offline data entry procedures for the Aegean Digital Archaeological Atlas.” Workshop held at the Tyler School of Art, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA in September 2009.
- “Methods for recovering site location s from published maps using Google Earth pro and Global Mapper.” Workshop held in the Study Center for East Crete, June, 2009.
- “The Iraq Archaeological GIS Database, Part II” Conducted at the GCI-WMF Iraq Cultural Heritage Training Course, May, 2005, Amman, Jordan.
- “The Iraq Archaeological GIS Database, Part I” Conducted at the GCI-WMF Iraq Cultural Heritage Training Course, 11-20-04 to 12-18-04, Amman, Jordan.
- “GIS, Satellite Imagery and Aerial Photography in Archaeological Analysis: An Example From the Western Madaba Plain, Jordan.” Presented at The First Arab Course in Archaeological Training: The Application of Modern Technologies in the Field of Archaeological Excavation and Conservation, Amman, October 1-16, 2003.
i.p. “The Mediterranean Archaeological Network – A Cyberinfrastructure for Archaeological Heritage Management.” Accepted for publication in Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry (2014). With Thomas Levy.
2014 “DAAHL: The Digital Archaeological Atlas of the Holy Land – A Model for Mediterranean and World Archaeology” Near Eastern Archaeology 77(3): 243- 247. With Thomas Levy.
2013 “Archaeological Remote Sensing in Jordan’s Faynan Copper Mining District with Hyperspectral Imagery” In Mapping Archaeological Landscapes from Space: In Observance of the 40th Anniversary of the World Heritage Convention, pp. 97-110, edited by D. Comer and M. Harrower. New York, Springer. With T. Levy and I. Jones.
2013 Climate Change and Human Impact on Ancient and Modern Settlements: Identification and Condition Assessment of Archaeological Sites in the Northern Levant from Landsat, ASTER and CORONA Imagery. Final Report, NASA Space Archaeology Solicitation: NNH07ZDA001N-SAP. With S. Rempel.
2012 “Prospects and Problems in the Use of Hyperspectral Imagery for Archaeological Remote Sensing: A Case Study from the Faynan Copper Mining District, Jordan.” With T. E. Levy and I. W. Jones. Journal of Archaeological Science 39:407-420.
2011 “From Maadi to the Plain of Antioch: What Can Basalt Spindle Whorls Tell Us About Overland Trade in the Southern Levant During the Early Bronze Age?” In Daily Life, Materiality, and Complexity in Early Urban Communities of the Southern Levant: Celebrating the Contributions of Walter Rast and Thomas Schaub, pp. 95-114, edited by M. Chesson. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.
2010 “On-Site Digital Archaeology 3.0 and Cyber-Archaeology: Into the Future of the Past – New Developments, Delivery and the Creation of a Data Avalanche.” In Introduction to Cyber-Archaeology. Edited by M. Forte, pp. 135-153. Oxford: Archaeopress. With Levy, T. E., V. Petrovic, T. Wypych, A. Gidding, K. Knabb, D. Hernandez, N. G. Smith, J. P. Schlulz, F. Kuester, E. Ben-Yosef, C. Buitenhuys, C. J. Barrett, M. Najjar, and T. DeFanti.
2010 Jordan’s Stonehenge: The Endangered Chalcolithic/Early Bronze Age Site at Al-Murayghât–Hajr al-Mansûb. Near Eastern Archaeology 73:1 32-46.
2009 The Digital Archaeological Atlas of the Holy Land. In Global Moments in the Levant, pp. 242-255, edited by Leif Manger and Øystein LaBianca. Bergen: Unifob Global and University of Bergen. With T. Levy and Ø. LaBianca.
2009 The Bronze Age Political Landscape of the Southern Levant. In Polities and Power: Archaeological Perspectives on the Landscapes of Early States, pp. 125-151, edited by S. Falconer and C. Redman. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. With S. Falconer.
2007 “Controlling Space at the Regional Level: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and JADIS in Jordan” In Crossing Jordan: North American Contributions to the Archaeology of Jordan, pp. 37-46, edited by T. Levy, M. Daviau, R. Younker, and M. Shaer. London: Equinox Publishing Ltd.
2007 “The Early Bronze Age City States of the Southern Levant: Neither Cities Nor States” In Crossing Jordan: North American Contributions to the Archaeology of Jordan, pp. 285-297, edited by T. Levy, M. Daviau, R. Younker, and M. Shaer. London: Equinox Publishing Ltd. With S. Falconer and T. Harrison.
GRANTS / AWARDS:
- NASA Space Archaeology, ca. $69,000, for “Climate Change and Human Impact on Ancient and Modern Settlements: Identification and Condition Assessment of Archaeological Sites in the Northern Levant from LandSat, ASTER and CORONA Imagery.
- Institute for Aegean Prehistory (INSTAP) travel grant, $3000, Summer 2009, for “Developing the Aegean Digital Archaeological Atlas” (ADAA); $15,000, 2010, ADAA operations grant.
- NASA ASTER Satellite Images. “Digital Archaeological Atlas of the Holy Land – Digital Elevation Models” $80,000.
- National Endowment for the Humanities “Recovering Iraq’s Past Grant” for a cultural heritage inventory of Iraqi archaeological and historic sites, including development of an integrated archaeological/GIS database for cultural resource management. $100,000.
- Kaplan Foundation, $50,000 for development of the Iraqi Archaeological/GIS database.
- National Endowment for the Humanities/American Center for Oriental Research Fellowship for “Converting the JADIS Database to a GIS-Capable format.” $20,000.
- National Science Foundation research grant number BCS 9973067 for Developing an AMS Radiocarbon Based Chronology for the Predynastic Egyptian Cemetery, N7000, at Naga-ed-Dêr, $50,000.
Ph.D., 1995, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. (Anthropology/Archaeology).
M.A., 1989, Univ. of S. Carolina, Columbia, SC. (Anthro. /Public Archaeology).
Certificate, 1982, Control Data Institute, Atlanta, GA. (Computer Programming).
M.A. Course Work, 1978, Cincinnati Bible Seminary, Cinti. OH. (Antiquities).
B.A., 1978, Cincinnati Bible Seminary, Cinti., OH. (Ancient Near Eastern Studies).